Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I HOPE YOU CAN SEE THE HUMOR IN THIS...

I've been doing what I can to eliminate animal products in the snacks and peripheral foods (e.g. pasta sauce) I buy. That's not to say that this hasn't had its share of annoyances. I like doughnuts! And apple puffs! And waffles! And Bisquick sucks! All these things contain at least an egg and/or milk. It's not that I won't eat these things anymore...if I'm served some at a gathering or whatever, I'll happily chow down on 'em. Like I've said, it's about limitation, not elimination. Thankfully, there's enough "happens to be vegan" snack foods out there that I don't feel like I'm missing too much.

The other day, I had to buy spaghetti sauce and read the ingredients only to find out that they contain meat and/or cheese so I'm like, "Oh, I can't get this, can't get the vegetable one cuz it still has cheese, etc." I was happy to have finally stumbled upon marinara sauce which seemed to be what I was looking for and then I blithely went to the frozen foods aisles to pick up beef and cheese tortellini to make with this sauce. I feel like the stereotypical fat man ordering the diet coke to go with his feeds four dinner...*mocking voice* cuz he's trying to watch his weight.

I did look for a bag of ready-made veggie "meat"balls to mix half and half with the real ones to see if I'd notice, but my supermarket doesn't sell any so that experiment will have to wait. My feeties hurt after a week of walking and standing at work so I'm not exactly eager to go travelling about my area on my days off to look for that does sell those things. :-)

(originally posted to That Other Journal on January 7, 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment