Tuesday, November 8, 2011

SONGS THAT CAN JUST GO AWAY, part III


The latest entry in this what will undoubtedly become "Songs I Hate" list is "Bass Down Low". I heard it at work one night when the station was on the rap/hip-hop station "Concrete Beats". I think my real problem with this song is that it makes me feel old. This tune sounds like a headache: irritating and incessant but attentively addictive. Listen to it. Go ahead and see how long it takes for you to get "If you wanna get with me, there's one thing you've got to know. I like my beats fast and my bass down low" out of your head (Bass down low. B-B-B-Bass down low). It will remain for some time and infect your thoughts. Since it's only three one syllable words, it can easily be incorporated into anything you're doing. (Throw. It. Out. --- Turn. It. Off. --- Read. This. Book. --- etc.) It's an obnoxious, infectious beat. It's not a bad song per se. But I have work I need to be doing! Please...get out of my head. Go away!

And what's with songs these days "featuring" people and/or bands? Music these days has special guest stars like sitcoms. It's nothing new I know...it just seems more frequently done these days. I liked it when it was done quietly. You'd discover when reading the liner notes that Eric Clapton played guitar or Ringo Starr did drums for some of George Harrison's solo work. I'm sure it's a ploy to sell more digital downloads but seriously, is any Snoop Dog fan giving Katy Perry a chance because of his "featuring" in "California Gurls"? And likewise, how many Katy Perry fans are now checking out Snoop Dog's work because of his dissonant contribution to that passable pop song? (No Doubt's album "Rocksteady" was full of these featurings back in 2001) Just like I hate remixes because they're not the song the artist put out, put out your own shit. If you can't do it without "help", maybe you don't deserve to be on this level just yet.


"Bass Down Low" by DEV featuring the Cataracs

And yes, that girl is totally hot (at least in this video) and I was totally surprised she was white. I like how some of the girls in this video have that scared look on their face like they've been coerced into performing.

No comments:

Post a Comment