Thursday, November 17, 2011

LONG TIME VEGAN SCHOOLS LIFELONG OMNIVORE, see comments section

      Over the years, I have had many fried foods and by fried, I mean breaded/battered filets in a layer of oil, not pan-frying or stir-frying. Fish filets, chicken breast filets, turkey breast filets, pork chops, even eggplant (filets?)...but never beef. I've wondered why that is. Is it just one of those things like where ketchup is a sensible condiment for french fries but not for mashed potatoes even though really, what's the difference? Or is there a real reason behind it?

       Tonight I will find out. I bought some beef filets (or their rough equivalent) and eggs...I haven't bought eggs for over a year...and fry them in oil. See how it turns out. Messy food preparation tonight, yay! I'll have to addendum this entry tomorrow.

ADDENDUM:  Turns out the beef I had bought was exactly the correct ones to buy for this experiment. As was brought to my attention in the comment section, the cuts were referred to as "chicken steaks." They came out rather well but I failed to season the beef before breading it so flavor-wise, they were a bit lacking. If I bother to make them again, I will have to marinate in teriyaki sauce or otherwise spice them a day before cooking. Oil frying is one of the last areas of cooking I have to perfect as I've been favoring baking and broiling over the years. I was worried they would be too tough and that would be the reason why I had not heard of fried beef. I guess instead, it's just regional cuisine.

4 comments:

AmyKathryn said...

There is, it's called chicken fried steak. (Surprised you haven't had eggs in a year, but are breaking that for this!) Have fun.

Vachon said...

I've had eggs, just not "only" eggs if that makes sense. I'm sure they've been mixed in to some of the foods I eat.

A bowl of cereal makes a lot less mess in the morning :-)

Vachon said...

I was compelled to change the title of this entry because of you.

AmyKathryn said...

Like :)

Post a Comment