Saturday, November 20, 2010

I ACTUALLY LIKE THIS SHIT, part VI



"Jimmy Jimmy" by Ric Ocasek

This song is off Ric Ocasek's debut solo album Beatitude. The album was described as very radio unfriendly and while I agree with that assessment, I still really like the album. It's great to hear a little experimentation from artists you like (Think of Remain in Light by Talking Heads). This was the first song on the album. I guess it was considered a single seeing as how a video had been made for it. The story of a lowlife going nowhere with his life. It's like a musical version of what depression feels like. That incessant percussive beat; lyrics which sound like a brain beating up on itself. There's a definite sense of not only a lack of purpose in the song, but of despair. It's beautiful in its hopelessness. I don't know what Mr. Ocasek meant by it but that's what I take from it. The who and the what are rarely important to me. All that matters is the how and the why.

No comments:

Post a Comment