Thursday, September 2, 2010

I HAVE A LUIGI BODY

      I can't help but think my age is starting to catch up with me. For the past sixteen or seventeen years, I have worn pants whose waist measurement was 30". I still fit in these pants but I can't help but notice them feeling ever more snug. The thing, if you look at me, I don't look fat or even overweight. My arms, legs, and torso are skinny but I have a belly. I'm becoming what is known as "skinny fat".

      I don't even think it's possible for me to become fat in the classical sense where everything gets puffier and more filled-out. It will always be in my gut resulting in me having the body of an in-shape pregnant woman. For years, I've fought increasing my pants size keeping in mind a quick story my Dad once told me. He warned of falling into the trap of buying more comfortable (read: larger waist size) pants. As his weight slowly increased over his life, he eventually went up a size and remarked how much more comfortable the pants were. But instead of getting back in shape, this new higher size become the new normal and then he would gain even more weight and so on and so forth.

      I get some exercise everyday, but not as much as I used to. My friend at work drives me home every day he is there (which is most of them nowadays) so that two mile walk, five days a week has been lost. I work with people who actually help now so cleaning every register by myself (cardio?) has also been taken from me. But I generally don't overeat. I go hungry a lot and by that, I don't mean I skip meals. I simply mean that I will get hungry and will stay that way for a couple of hours (like at work). My weight has stabilized at about 150 lbs. but yet I still have this gut. It sucks...and I wonder if it's time to surrender and go up to a size 32" waist. Maybe I'm kidding myself. I don't know. All my work pants are wearing out: It's time to replace them.

     When I have to go out to buy more, I am really hoping that the size 32" pants are too big. I don't want to believe I've hit this post in my life already.

No comments:

Post a Comment