Tuesday, March 29, 2011

FRUSTRATING HOLDING PATTERN

      I've been calling various numbers seeking a new apartment to live in. I am simply floored at these complexes lack of enthusiasm for renting out one of their vacant units. I'm still waiting on four places to call me back to set up an appointment for viewings, credit checks, and whatnot. It's like they don't want to get a new tenant and that sucks for me because my time is running out.

      I had a small plan today. It's still on hold as I wait for at least one freakin' callback. I'm hungry too but you know how Murphy's Law works, I'll reach a point of no return in the cooking and that's exactly when I'll have a callback telling me to come down immediately. I want to walk to some local businesses and get some window shopping and even some actual shopping done but no, I'm stuck here in my room waiting for calls to be returned. I only made four of them yesterday; all with the same basic message asking if they had any 1BR apartments available and at what cost per month. That latter part is critical. I'm sorry that it all comes down to one number but the loveliness of your location, the amenities you provide, the convenience of on site laundry facilities, etc. don't mean jack shit if I can't afford the place.

       So far, I've gotten exactly one callback by a woman named Amy who merely acknowledged having received my call but instead of giving me the information I had asked for, she merely asked that I call her back. I did, and am still waiting for a callback now. The other place told me I had to set up an appointment. I called, giving them my availability, suggesting that we meet at noon asking for them to call me back to confirm this or for them to call me back offering a different time. Still waiting on them too. The other two places have not even called me back. Is this any way to run a business or is this some domination tactic designed to remind me who actually holds the power in this equation?

      So I remain stuck in a holding pattern unable to commit to any activity fearing that I will simply be interrupted from it at a crucial point. Even my own complex won't get back to me. I even have a couple of entries I'd like to make in this blog that will now have to wait. The way things are going, I'm gonna end up with a string of "I ACTUALLY LIKE THIS SHIT" song/video entries rather than some potentially more entertaining blather.

ADDENDUM: I'm still stuck waiting on these calls and now I'm tired. I guess I'll lie down for the day and wake up in the middle of the night (always disorienting...doesn't matter how long you've been working overnights).  I can only hope I get a callback as I'm drifting off. And it amazes me too. I've actually turned my ringer on for all calls (not just those on My Contacts list) and I haven't received a call in five days (except that useless one this morning from Amy who also has not called me back - does no one check their phones?! I thought that was an obsession of the mobile generation?)...not even from the collections agencies that have been hounding me since I've gotten this phone for debts unpaid by four different people. Two years and they're still at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment