Thursday, August 2, 2012

"HAUL AWAY" AND "TAKING TO THE CURB" ARE TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS

     Am I wrong in thinking that a furniture company ought to also being a hauling away business as well? They would seem to go hand-in-hand.

     I have a little bit of money set aside and given the uninviting appearance a single chair gives to my living room, I thought it time to buy a couch. I found a suitable design (and color, yes, thank you) and despite the website saying that they "haul away" - those exact words - when I called, before even placing the order, I asked to verify and for some reason, no...they do not actually haul away the furniture they are replacing. How deceptive.
     You might be thinking, "Oh, but they will put it on the curb for you, right?" Yes...at my expense. But I can't just put stuff like that on the curb. The town only picks up on certain days and you can only put it out the night before pick-up. Delivery windows do not include "night" and even if that were not a problem, timing a delivery for the night before pick-up is really just too many dice to roll. What they offer to do is to take the furniture out of my apartment...that's something I could do (albeit not safely). But that's not hauling away unless you want to get liberal with the definition.
      Car dealerships have this figured out. I'm assuming bulk appliance dealers do as well (stoves, refrigerators, etc.) I would think furniture stores would as well. Could you imagine having to figure out how to rid yourself of your old car while buying a new one? The hassle? The insurance issues? It'd be fun, right?

      And aren't we also in the midst of a recession/depression/whatever-the-fuck-they're-calling-it? And here I thought service increased during such times because businesses desperately want to survive and if you can't sell like you used to or lower your prices any further, maybe you could encourage the opening of a wallet by improving service.
      And I'm not even asking that they do it for free. They could offer to haul away for free, but I'm not that much of a dick. I grasp that hauling to a dump probably comes with fees and such. I am content to pay to have this stuff hauled away along with my delivery, but no...they don't do that.

     Maybe this is why I'm not a businessman. I clearly don't understand these things. Enjoy the money you're not getting from me Futonland!

No comments:

Post a Comment