Thursday, August 2, 2012

THE NERVE OF SOME PEOPLE...TO THINK WE'RE ALL EQUAL

     I might come back to this another day, but I think I finally understand why it is I just don't like this (usually liberal) philosophy of accepting diversity in all its forms be it lifestyles, religion, clothing, cultures, etc. etc.
     I think it's because I can't respect that. I like the idea of there being a line which cannot be crossed under threat of ostracism. I need people to be intolerant of some things at some point and no, being intolerant of intolerance doesn't count.

     It's like, you can't love or accept everything. The logic may be faulty but it would seem to follow that if you love everything, you also love nothing. The idea being that nothing is necessarily a part of everything so therefore...well, I'm assuming you follow me. It is only through selectivity that one can appreciate an emotion or attitude. This idea that we can't call a culture or religion or lifestyle or attitude wrong by our measure - no means an objective thing - feels antithetical to the human experience.
     Our minds...well, my mind at least - I shouldn't vouch for others - insists upon ideas like this/that; here/there; inside/outside; warmer/colder; higher/lower; us/them; you/me; etc. In other words, sides or groups or any kind of separation. They can overlap like Venn diagrams, but the need for outliers is insisted upon.

     Perhaps that insistence is the force of evolution itself; competition bred of limited time, space, and resources so accepting all becomes an impossibility because there simply isn't enough to go around.
     Or maybe it's just I don't like the idea of someone saying you can't think certain things. Maybe I can't act upon them, but don't tell me I can't think them. I don't know...

      It just feels wrong to put forth this idea that "it's all good" when no, some things are "bad".


"Crash Your Party" by Karmin


No comments:

Post a Comment