Wednesday, October 5, 2011

INTERESTING IDEA...

From BK Phil on Gawker talking about Congressional redistricting. Currently I am in favor of creating districts which are either (50% Democrat/50% Republican) or (33% Democrat/33% Republican/33% Independent) in an effort to both promote ideological competition and reduce extremism. However, this commenter proposed this idea which I admit I find interesting:

Ideally, the districting should produce an elected slate of representatives that has the same percentage Reps and Dems as the overall state does.


How about each party putting up one roster of candidates state-wide. Each voter votes once for party, and once for a specific candidate. The parties win numbers of seats according to what percentage of the party votes they got, and within their own rosters, those individual candidates that got the most votes get elected?

I'm sure my solution has problems too. I remember studying this stuff in detail in college and the simplest electoral tweaks have a mass of related consequences. Fascinating and maddening stuff.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment