Tuesday, February 3, 2009

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING SORT OF DIFFERENT (at least for me)

For those of you who have not been keeping track, I am fast approaching my eighth anniversary at my current place of employment. In all that time, I've met quite a few people and a number of them have become workplace buddies. Some have given me rides home and a few have taken to trusting me with their personal issues which is nice and all, but in all this time, I had yet to take that next step with anybody where I got invited out with them. Y'know...to be real friends and not just the workplace kind. Don't get me wrong, I've received the casual invite of "Oh, we should (definitely) hang out some time", but no one has ever followed through on it.

The Security Guard has taken a liking to me over the past half year or so. He's given me rides home and he'll speak with me frequently at work. So far, everything's typical. He's suggested that I go out with him and his friends, but nothing ever came of that except for one that got cancelled last minute (which is also, unfortunately, all too typical as well). But he did come through with this past Sunday's Super Bowl (am I "allowed" to use that here, NBC? or must I say "Big Game"? Ugh...). I had to get up several hours early, but Security Guard and his wife took me to meet his family and dogs. I had a good time overall. The dogs liked me (small dogs, don't know the breeds). I even rode a quad with his brother on a frozen lake. I'm not gonna get into details, cuz like my times at college, so much of it was contextual and you-had-to-be-there type stuff. His family is a lot of fun and very welcoming. My favorite was his mother, who comes across as quiet and demure, but will throw a line in (delivered calmly too) that does the mental equivalent of the needle sliding across the record (dated reference ehv-rih-BAAAH-day!).

The food was good and the game was actually engaging for a non-football watcher (I know the basic rules and scoring system, but that's about it). He's definitely interested in having me come to additional gatherings. My skepticism is still up...it has to be, but I look forward to its weakening.

p.s. The reason Shortii doesn't count is because of a technicality. While, yes, we have hung out...we never did so until after she quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment