Sunday, February 8, 2009

STABILITY...HOW I LOVE THEE

I found out yesterday that I won't have to be moving after all. Hooray!

My Best Friend, as I think most of you have heard by now, was itching to move out with her new friend Tank Girl whom she had formed a fast bond with via Tank Girl's social connections and steady availability to go out. I have no hard feelings about this at all and am genuinely happy that she has found someone with whom not only can she go out, but who also has the kinds of social connections that I could only dream of. I was very annoyed at her announcement, feeling vaguely betrayed. She was slated to move out this April. I had petitioned Roommate to move in with me, but circumstances on his end put a stop to that. This Monday, I had planned to go looking around for an apartment in the area that hopefully I could swing with my current part-time job plus a second even more part-time job.

Then, last night, my Best Friend told me of her reservations. Tank Girl, from what I gather from Best Friend, is rather needy and demanding on top of a sense of entitlement. Best Friend doesn't like how pushy Tank Girl's been becoming with her. She's also feeling like she's being set up to be used by her (That's my job, damn it!!!) for all sorts of trivialities (very recent examples: Tank Girl inviting Best Friend to a movie but having Best Friend purchase the tickets [I'm working with the assumption that Tank Girl would pay her back], but for some reason [I honestly forget why at the moment], Tank Girl  needed Best Friend's credit card info to purchase them. Best Friend wisely refused it to her and told her to wait for her there at the theater until she got there [Don't ask about it, cuz I don't know the details really. I'll consider addenda if I learn more]. She's also "inviting" Best Friend to come help her do her laundry. Tank Girl doesn't have a car by the way (but she can drive). Also, Best Friend doesn't like how she's being pressured into moving in with her so quickly (Tank Girl originally wanted March...April was a reluctant concession on her part)

Anyhow, Best Friend told me that she doesn't want to lose her as a (socializing) friend. She's glad to have the excuses she has and hopes that they'll fly with her (My finances make it nearly impossible to afford an apartment in this area and the second of three people I would ever consider living with being unable to join me [i.e. I have trust issues]). I wish her luck with that. Best Friend really does need to go out more and she won't if she loses this connection. She needs girlfriends, even if their personalities suck, to go out with and have fun. And yes, there is a selfishness to all this as well. A happy Best Friend tends to help out more. A happy Best Friend isn't a drag on my good and neutral moods. A happy Best Friend is generally pleasant to be around.

Anyways, I'm thrilled to not have to be moving. It's been such a relief stress-wise. It sucks that I still have to walk 2½ miles to get to work, but that's definitely a small price to pay. Plus, I've learned that rents are going down nationwide due to this lovely downturn brought upon us. I would think rents would go up as the competition would increase with more people seeking rentals considering they can no longer afford houses, but as it turns out, bad economic times cause people to seek roommates instead to save on costs leaving more vacancies. I'll have to keep this in mind as we may now have some negotiating power with our landlord. Hell, if it stays flat, I'll be happy. Inflation was 5% last year, so zero increase is basically 5% off the new lease. :-)

(originally

No comments:

Post a Comment