Wednesday, April 29, 2015

DELIBERATELY CIRCULATED: TWO YEARS LATER...

     Two years ago, I posted an entry about modern coins I've been carrying around to deliberately wear down via circulation as these coins either rarely did so or, because of inflation, were unlikely to ever do so. I mentioned that I would follow up on that post in a few years if I were still blogging. Since that's still the case, two years feels like enough time has passed to be able to show a definite difference in the wear on these coins.
      Unfortunately, the photos do not compare well. This batch appears much better than the original. With luck, the next round two years hence will have similar enough lighting to these photos to allow for more useful comparisons.

(click on photos to enlarge)

2007 Silver American Eagle: 4-5 years wear
      During my last post, I mentioned that I had stopped circulating the SAE coin, but in the meantime (though I don't recall exactly when), I reintroduced it to the pile.

1978-D Eisenhower Dollar: about 3 years wear

1978 Kennedy Half Dollar: 1-2 years wear
     I introduced this Kennedy half into my patience project sometime in the intervening years but, like the reintroduction of the 2007 SAE dollar, I don't remember exactly when. This project does suffer from poor record-keeping I will admit. Like the Eisenhower Dollar, I chose 1978 because it is my birth year.

1999-P Susan B. Anthony Dollar: 5-6 years wear

1999-P New Jersey State Quarter: about 5 years wear

2005-P Jefferson Nickel [first issue]: 5-6 years wear

2005-P Jefferson Nickel [second issue]: 5-6 years wear

2001-P Jefferson Nickel: 5-6 years wear

2009-P Jefferson Nickel: about 3 years wear

1974-S Lincoln Cent: 5-6 years wear

2010 Lincoln Cent: 5 years wear
     Wear on the Lincoln Bicentennial cents has become more noticeable. A think I've noticed overall with the copper coins is that they seem to mush more than abrade from circulation. The zinc in the copper-plated cents shows on the rims and the coloration of the wear on the highest points of the designs is grayer suggesting imminent zinc exposure, if not already. My guess is that even when the zinc is definitely exposed, the coins will circulate acceptably because their circulation is constant, preventing the zinc's expected corrosion from destroying the coin.

2009 Lincoln Cent [first issue]: about 3 years wear

2009 Lincoln Cent [second issue]: about 3 years wear

2009 Lincoln Cent [third issue]: about 3 years wear

2009 Lincoln Cent [final issue]: about 3 years wear

Angel Token: 2 years wear
     The longest-circulated of these coins are about one-eighth of the way through their expected circulation lifetime of forty years. Too bad I have not been carrying these coins since I started working full time. The quarter and SBA dollar would be nearly halfway through their circulation lifetimes already and the Westward Journey nickels, a quarterway. Oh well...
     If I'm still here in two years, I'll update, as I believe this entry has set the precedent.

No comments:

Post a Comment