Monday, April 9, 2012

OCCASIONALLY I REGRET THE THINGS I SAY...

      I fully admit that I am an asshole and not just "at times." I am a straight-up asshole and as such I can and do say and think things which, upon happenstance and occasionally outright education, can be later found to be indefensible. I figure in the spirit of this capacity to change and presumably "grow" as a human being, I would let you in on two things I have come to reconsider lately.

      Gawker a few weeks ago published another story in its continuing takes on the Trayvon Martin killing. In this article, it was mentioned that somehow respected newsperson Geraldo Rivera was quoted as saying (and I am quoting, likely out of context but wha'e'er), "I think the hoodie is as much responsible for Trayvon Martin's death as George Zimmerman was." If you're fairly enlightened already, I suspect you have found that comment to be revolting. The thing is, I didn't and for a while (and I mean long before this particular story came out) I was of the general opinion that people shouldn't go around acting suspiciously and that would go double for minorities as they are already looked upon suspiciously so don't add fuel to the fire by adding a layer of conspicuousness to it all. Yes, hoodies look intimidating. I would argue because it partially obscures one's face depriving you of an important aspect of body language to ascertain and because the large pockets in front in which both hands are sometimes in can make it look like you're concealing a weapon. Yes, I have on occasion felt nervous when hoodied (my memory's cloudy but let's face it...black and/or latino) gentlemen had approached me in passing. Basically, don't wear clothing that makes you look like a thug. Sounded reasonable. Then in the comment section of that same article, I read this by geraldlott65 and promptly felt like an ass:

"As a Black man in America, I have always had to be aware of how I am perceived. I have a 14 year old son who doesn't know what its like to be called a nigger by someone means it. The fact is - racism exists. What should young black men do, dress in khakis and boat shoes with polo shirts and sweater tied around their necks. Let's be honest, once most young black men start wearing the "prep" look, we'll have stories of racists killing them because they look threatening in their pink Izod shirts. I bet we even hear that some gangs have Polo and some wear the alligator!

George Zimmerman killed Trayvon Martin because he could. He was looking for an opportunity to play "
Sheriff" and found a victim. Trayvon was a black stranger that wandered into Zimmerman's turf. He is as bad as gang-banging hoodrats that prey on the inner-city. Zimmerman stalked this young man, called it in to the police to get an excuse, instigated an altercation and stood on Florida's law to execute this young man."

      Geraldlott65 made perfect sense: it's not the clothing that these youth are wearing, it's the racist/bigoted attitudes behind them. If you just plain don't like black people, you'll find an excuse to cling to. I've since incorporated this commenter's logic into my brain and will have it at my ready disposal should anyone in my vicinity attempt to make the argument that clothing has anything to do with these types of crimes. I won't accept it anymore.

       The next thing I learned was that I can and do arrogantly dismiss things. Now while I would like to sit here and pretend that that behavior has been eradicated from my mind wholesale, it has in fact not been...just a singular aspect of it. I found myself reading several blog posts this morning from predominantly feminist points of view - this may be the topic of future entry here - and in one of the links I followed, I came across something called "Trigger Warnings" which, briefly stated, is a warning "...designed to prevent people who have an extremely strong and damaging emotional response (for example, post-traumatic flashbacks or urges to harm themselves) to certain subjects from encountering them unaware. Having these responses is called 'being triggered'." My initial asinine response was pretty much, "What kind of whiny pussy-ass shit is this?!" Very brutal and dismissive...perhaps even condescending, I'll grant that. My inner voice isn't exactly known for its subtlety.


      Thankfully, the wiki entry provided a link to (TRIGGER WARNING: This link contains information about sexual assault and/or violence which may be triggering to survivors) an essay written on a site called Dreamwidth by a blogger calling herself Impertinence. Although it was not her job to educate assholes like me about triggering, she chose to do so anyway and in so doing, explained it to me in a way that was perfectly sensible and made me feel ashamed for my private dismissal earlier (no one heard me think it is what I'm saying). It counts as another thing I've learned and something which I hope I will be mindful of should I ever actually enter into dark discussions in this blog o' mine.

      I'll leave it at that...

No comments:

Post a Comment