Tuesday, October 21, 2008

YET ANOTHER ARGUMENT...

I'm starting to think my Best Friend and I need safety words. Not for sexual reasons (do I have to insert obviously here?); but rather, for argumentative reasons.

We seem to feed off each other in such a way that we tend to upgrade what should normally be simple disagreements from simple thunderstorms to Category 3 hurricanes.

While I think we both share certain psychoses when it comes to our arguing styles, I do tend to blame myself more for perpetuating them. I think I need to train my mind to simply shut up cuz once I get going, I really don't care how heated it gets nor do I care how stupid the flash point was. I tried explaining my hypothesis to her but I don't think she's gonna go for it. She seems to have this weird, albeit perfectly reasonable, idea that I should be able to recognize that things are spiraling out of control. I couldn't get through to her that my dumb analytical mind would surely respond to this kind of thing...or that I least, I was quite confident that it would until I can train myself to recognize these destructive patterns.

Any ideas as to how I might better explain this off to her so that maybe she'll cooperate? I'm listening and would appreciate your help. :)

(originally posted in That Other Journal on October 21, 2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment