Friday, October 24, 2008

DENIED!!!

Oh am I annoyed! When I clean up at my job, I occasionally find more than dirt and dust -- namely money. Granted, most of it is in the form of pennies and dimes, but the occasional better find does show up every so often.

I know I'm not entitled to this money, but then, I can't really argue for my place of employment's defense either. For the most part, I think the famous case of Finders vs. Keepers definitely applies. I just apply reasonable doubt to the find. If it's in the drawer, for instance, only a cashier could have put it there and forgotten about it. If it's rolled coin, it's obviously a cashier's and must be returned. But on the floor? Fuck it, it's mine.

The rear belt of our registers has this large metal plate which lifts up to reveal a dust catcher and a poorly thought out wooden interior (perfect for absorbing organic fluids!). Usually what's under there is of course dust and debris, but occasionally a flat item gets drawn under even the occasional bag of salad and candy, but it's usually Dr. Scholl's corn removers. On rare occasion, a piece of currency will slip beneath there and it'll be mine for the picking...except for today.

My manager saw me cleaning the registers and I guess in his boredom, lifted up the plate I was getting to next to reveal a twenty dollar bill. Fuck!!! (yes, reasonable doubt applies here. It's almost certain that a dumb customer wasn't paying attention as it slipped beneath the plate and was now out twenty dollars) Now it's found money and I had to log it as such.

What makes me obsess about this even more is that A: he's never taken an interest in what I've been doing before in terms of clean up and B: he was only there because he couldn't find his house keys. Instead, I went home with three pennies and a kopeck. Grrr.....

Beaten to the prize. :) Is that Nelson Muntz?

(originally posted to That Other Journal on October 24, 2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment