Tuesday, February 10, 2015

NIGHT WILL FALL...

     Every time I watch a documentary about the Holocaust, I learn something new. It's just that big of a story. Night Will Fall was no exception. As I watched it, I found myself wondering what happened to the survivors afterward and this was briefly touched upon. It turns out that once fed and properly hydrated, once those basic needs had been met, they would slowly return to a more human state, even bickering over fashions, after a period as short as 2-3 weeks (and I'm sure you've seen pictures of the harshly starved prisoners from death camps at the time of their liberation).

     I also learned that while American and British authorities were happy to use the atrocities of the Holocaust in order blame the defeated Germans, that neither government felt any obligation to care for the Holocaust's victims, especially the Jewish ones, either be granting them a place to live in their respective countries or to allow them to form a nation of their own. It didn't matter that what was done was a crime against humanity, they were still Jews...
     And while the latter ultimately happened in 1948 with the creation of Israel, those people first heading there found themselves deported back to a Europe that did not want them or even held in new internment camps so shortly after having left their prior hells.

     There are many unpleasant things one learns throughout history, both about the world and about one's own home. I am amazed at how easy it apparently was for the Final Solution apparatus to be set up and how readily it was carried out; at how easily a people could be swayed to collaborate and effect an end to a perceived scapegoat; at how easily those living near such death mills were able to blithely ignore the goings-on of the genocidal machinery within.

     But then I am also amazed at how easily to this day people will call out for genocidal actions against the "other". And don't get me wrong. As a radical free speech supporter, I will not stand in the way of people wishing to voice such opinions. As a human being, I would be obligated to oppose the carrying out of such desires, but I will never oppose simply talking about it or wishing it upon.

     I don't care if you ultimately still hate Jews, Muslims, gays, blacks, Latinos, communists, etc. but just remember when you casually call out blood, indiscriminate retributive bombing campaigns, or even openly wish for genocide that, to carry it out, this is what is required of you and those whom you commit to such tasks. This is what you must turn your eyes upon and see. This is what must be done. This is what must be lived with afterward.

     That is what you need to remember...


No comments:

Post a Comment