Saturday, January 1, 2011

I ACTUALLY LIKE THIS SHIT, part XII



"Putting On the Ritz" by Taco

The original version performed by Fred Astaire never really worked for me. Don't get me wrong, he puts every man to shame with his ability to dance but it was Taco who I feel captured (musically at least, that video is bizarre) the spirit of the song. I guess I've only heard radio edits in recent years. I didn't remember the song going on quite as long as it did. And what's with the blackface in the video? I mean seriously! Even in 1983 that was horrifyingly racist. Either way, enjoy the song. Irving Berlin, its author, certainly did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not a fan of the Michael Jackson version, eh? ;)

...Wow, what a homosexual. I'm impressed. Taco. Even the name is vaginal.

The 80s were so openly gay. What happened? :( This backslide has lasted way too many decades.

I wonder how many young people listening to this cover actually got the Gary Cooper reference? Just remembering that girl who thought that Universal's Wolf Man was ripping off Twilight: New Moon. *rolls eyes*

Post a Comment