Wednesday, February 29, 2012

MEMORIAL DAY...

      Memorial Day needs a reboot in my opinion. It wouldn't be the first time. Memorial Day used to be called "Decoration Day" and it was intended as an observance for those who had died fighting in the Civil War before the holiday became a generic observance of all those who had died while fighting in any war the United States had participated in. Later on, it evolved further still into an observance for all those who had died though as far as I can tell, that has not become official. It is still very much associated with military service. But I don't want Memorial Day to be about the dead any longer.

      I've lost many people in my life: they're not dead, they've just...moved on and while I am okay with some from that number, there are several still whom I miss and wish for reconciliation, rapprochement, that we might somehow run into each other after all these years, that maybe I could find out if you are doing alright, or simply a public moment to mourn their passing not from this life, but from mine and coming to terms with it. I'm absolutely sure you can think of such people from your life and with the advent of the internet, one might think it possible to have a kind of people bulletin board. A version of the "Have You Seen Me?" milk cartons: I MISS YOU...DO YOU MISS ME? or perhaps something that incorporates "memory" or "memorial" into its title to make it more fitting for the holiday.

        I have neither the clout nor the wherewithal to promote such an idea but should you find yourself in need of such a holiday, by all means...pass it on. Share it so that it may grow upon others. I will share my memorials here and there when the day comes.



"Keep Me in Mind" by Little Joy


"Your Wildest Dreams" by The Moody Blues


"Calling All Stations" by Genesis

No comments:

Post a Comment